Why You Should Try To Avoid Lead

Lead can have a serious effect on long term health, especially for children under the age of six. In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there is no safe level of lead in children’s blood. Elevated levels of lead have been associated with lower intelligence levels, difficulty paying attention and other academic problems. The scary thing about exposure to lead at a young age is that the negative effects of lead cannot be reversed later in life. If you were exposed to lead poisoning at a young age, it may still be having an effect on your health. Some estimates are that as many as 40 percent of adults have elevated levels of lead in their bodies right now.

The major sources of lead poisoning come from lead-based paint and lead in dust or soil, especially in homes that were built before 1978. Even though regulations have been put in place to try to eliminate lead from paint used in buildings, it is still possible to be exposed to lead through the soil and drinking water. If you have high levels of lead, this could contribute to ADHD, low sex drive, kidney failure, heart disease, high blood pressure levels, insomnia, depression, memory loss and poor concentration. There is a whole host of problems that can be attributed to high levels of lead, which may not be discovered until later in life.

Many people remain unaware of the importance of monitoring environmental toxins in limiting your exposure to lead poisoning. Some of the easy ways that you can try to limit your exposure to lead include not wearing shoes inside your home, getting a kit to monitor the lead levels in your drinking water, testing your soil for elevated levels of lead and increasing your intake of vitamin C. It is also a good idea to install a drinking water filter just to be sure that you are eliminating trace levels of lead from your drinking water. Lead can be stored in your bones and remain in your body for years while it is leeched into the bloodstream.

If you think that you may have been exposed to lead during your childhood, it is best to speak with a doctor as soon as possible. You may have a blood test to determine whether there are elevated levels of lead in your blood. If there are, you may need to change your daily diet in order to prevent the absorption of lead from your bones to your bloodstream. This could include consuming more zinc and iron.

Advertisements